- Refers to writing which records and glorifies the lives of saints & martyrs.
- Can be thought of as a form of Christian propaganda.
- It was an important literary genre in the early Christian church.
- Was practiced widely in the Middle Ages.
- Sometimes the term is applied to modern biographies, where the subject has been treated too reverentially, i.e. like they are saints.
- Bernard Shaw's play Saint Joan, from 1923, is one of few true modern hagiographic works.
Image: Theodore Stratelates hagiography by Johann Alexander Döderlein (Public Domain)
Tags: Bernard Shaw - Christian Church - Hagiography - Martyr - Middle Ages - Propaganda - Saint - Saint Joan
Posted by ALCHEssMIST - Alchemipedia - Cetacographer - Nirvana - Tags alliance.
Alchemipedia Animals | Alchemipedia Dates | Alchemipedia Geography | Alchemipedia Numbers | Alchemipedia People | Alchemipedia Years |
Home | Index | A-Z | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Migaloo | Music | Numbers | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World | Years |