Vibrio harveyi General Facts:
- Species of gram-negative, bioluminescent, marine bacteria.
- Organism implicated in the production of marine mucilage or marine snow, based on samples collected by ocean going vessels.
- Vibrio harveyi bacteria have been shown to communicate via quorum sensing - enabling them to coordinate the production of virulence factors & also bioluminescense (see culture plate opposite).
- Genus - Vibrio.
- Shape - rod-shaped
- Staining -Gram negative.
- Motility - Motile - has polar flagella.
- Respiration - Facultatively anaerobic
- Other - Halophilic.
- Growth temperature - between 4°C & 35°C.
- Locations - free-swimming in tropical marine waters.
- Commensal - gut microflora of marine animals.
- Both a primary & opportunistic pathogen of marine animals.
- Corals - Gorgonian corals.
- Molluscs - Oysters
- Marine crustaceans - Prawns, Lobsters,
- Fish - Asian Sea Bass, Barramundi, Common Snook, Milkfish, Seahorses, Turbot.
- Produces a condition called luminous vibriosis - affecting commercially farmed penaeid prawns.
Image: Vibrio harvei luminescence in culture plate via Biomedical Beat
Tags: Barramundi - Bioluminescence - Common Snook - Flagella - Gorgonian Coral - Halophilic - Lobster - Luminescence - Luminous Vibriosis - Marine Mucilage - Marine Snow - Milkfish - Oyster - Prawn - Quorum Sensing - Seahorse - Turbot - Vibrio - Vibrio harveyi
Posted by ALCHEssMIST - Alchemipedia - Cetacographer - Nirvana - Tags alliance.
Alchemipedia Animals | Alchemipedia Dates | Alchemipedia Geography | Alchemipedia Numbers | Alchemipedia People | Alchemipedia Years |
Home | Index | A-Z | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Migaloo | Music | Numbers | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World | Years |