Giovanni Villani & Cronica Universale:
- Giovanni Villani (1275-1348) begins the Cronica Universale.
- It was written in Italian rather than Latin.
- The Cronica Universale started from Biblical times.
- Very quickly afterwards Giovanni began to write carefully about the events that occurred during his own time.
- The statistical data he documented, and the detached approach, was unparalleled for the times.
- His clear business-like mind, with his keen observations on people, was very useful for this task.
- The historical events are reported just as he heard them, with little personal interpretation.
- Giovanni Villani was clearly a chronicler & not a historian.
- Giovanni's death by bubonic plague (Black Death) in 1348 stopped the writing of the Cronica Universale.
- Matteo Villani, the brother of Giovanni Villani, continued the Cronica Universale after Giovanni's death.
- Matteo writes an important account of the Black Death in Florence.
- Matteo Villani continued the writing of Cronica Universale until his death.
- Matteo Villani also died of bubonic plague in 1363.
- Matteo Villani was a less observant in his assessment of human nature.
- Filippo was the son of Matteo Villani.
- Filippo continued the writing of the Cronica Universale, after his father's death, until 1410.
Tags: 1348 - 1363 - 1410 - Black Death - Bubonic Plague - Chronicle - Cronica Universale - Filippo Villani - Florence - Giovanni Villani - Italian - Matteo Villani -
Posted by ALCHEssMIST - Alchemipedia - Cetacographer - Nirvana - Tags alliance.
Alchemipedia Animals | Alchemipedia Dates | Alchemipedia Geography | Alchemipedia Numbers | Alchemipedia People | Alchemipedia Years |
Home | Index | A-Z | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Migaloo | Music | Numbers | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World | Years |