- OpenGL 4.0 is a royalty-free cross-platform standard.
- This was presented at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco (March 2010).
- This OpenGL version is faster and more efficient than previous iterations.
- Included are 2 new shader stages - advantage of enabling the GPU to offload geometry tessellation from the CPU.
- There is also inclusion of 64-bit double precision floating point shader operations.
- Other performance enhancements include instanced geometry shaders, instanced arrays & also a new timer query.
- This new standard will also help produce improvements to OpenGL ES.
- Note - OpenGL ES is the graphics system used in the majority of smartphones & should help with developing the introduction of smartphone 3D interfaces.
- Interestingly - the company AMD contributes to the Khronos workgroups.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |