- Essex is a non-metropolitan county in the East of England.
- It is one of the home counties located to the northeast of Greater London.
- Principal local authority for much of the county.
- Chelmsford is the county town.
- Located in the county are Lakeside Shopping Centre (in Thurruck) & London Stansted Airport.
- Essex is known for the origin of the political term Essex man, & also for jokes about 'Essex girls'.
- Essex originates in the Anglo-Saxon period of the Early Middle Ages.
- The Kingdom of Essex was traditionally founded by Aescwine in 527 AD.
- This Kingdom occupied territory north of the River Thames, including what would later become Middlesex & Hertfordshire.
- Essex County Council was formed in 1889.
- The Essex boundary with Greater London was established in 1965.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |