Nathan Myhrvold Demographics:
- Born - 1959 (Seattle, Washington)
- Occupation - Intellectual Ventures Co-founder.
- Attended Mirman School.
- Started college at the age of 14 years.
- At UCLA he studied mathematics, geophysics, & space physics (BSc, Masters).
- Following this he went to Princeton University where he earned a master's degree in mathematical economics & then completed a PhD in theoretical and mathematical physics (all by the age of 23 years).
- He was awarded a Hertz Foundation Fellowship for graduate study in 1984.
- He also held a postdoctoral fellowship at Cambridge University, under Stephen Hawking, studying cosmology topics including quantum field theory in curved space time & quantum theories of gravitation.
- He left cambridge after 1 year to co-found the computer company Dynamical Systems Research Inc., which was sold to Microsoft in 1986.
- He is a prize-winning nature & wildlife photographer.
- Myhrvold was involved with the Museum of the Rockies, undertaking paleontological research expeditions (finding several Tyrannosaurus rex skeletons).
- Other skills include being world barbecue champion & a master French chef.
- Myhrvold has contributed $1 million to the SETI Foundation to develop the Allen Telescope Array.
- He has commissioned the construction of a complete Difference Engine #2 for himself.
- He was formerly Chief Technology Officer at Microsoft.
- He & Peter Rinearson helped Bill Gates to write the best-selling book 'The Road Ahead'.
- Co-founder of Intellectual Ventures which is building a large invention portfolio, particularly regarding patents in software.
- This secretive investment firm is worth around $5 billion.
- Nathan Myhrvold also personally holds more than 18 U.S. patents.
- He has also applied for ~ another 100 patents.
- His organisation has around 30,000 patents (at February 2010), & has around 650 employees.
- Myhrvold describes the patent world as a "vastly underdeveloped market".
"He is gregarious, enthusiastic, and nerdy on an epic scale." [Malcolm Gladwell]
Image of Nathan Myhrvold by jdlasica (cc)
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |