- Historical period.
- Belongs to the years 1625-1649 when Charles I reigned as king of England, Scotland & Ireland.
- The Latin version of Charles = Carolus.
- Period was marked by increasing religious & social tension.
- Eventually the tension found expression in the English Civil War.
- Period includes the later metaphysical poets.
- Period also contains the early works Milton.
- The 'Cavalier poets' Sir John Suckling, Robert Herrick, Richard Lovelace & Thomas Carew are from this period.
- The period also marks the watershed between the culture of Elizabethan literature & Jacobean literature in England.
- English writer & physician Thomas Browne was a successor to Francis Bacon with his publications - Religio medici / The Religion of a Doctor (1643).
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |