- The Ruby Slippers are the magical shoes worn by Dorothy (played by Judy Garland) in the movie The Wizard of Oz (MGM 1939).
- In the film, Dorothy acquires the slippers after her house falls on and kills the Wicked Witch of the East - allowing freedom for the Munchkins.
- Dorothy is aware the slippers are magical, but she did not know their specific powers.
- The Good Witch of the North, at the end of the film, reveals the ruby slippers' secret.
- If the heels are clicked 3 times whilst repeating the line "There's no place like home", Dorothy can return to Kansas.
- The slippers in the original novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, were silver but MGM wanted to cash in on the value of the Technicolor film process, and so made the shoes iredescent ruby coloured.
- The video below is from the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, where a pair of the ruby slippers has been put on display for the public.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |