- A stupid person who is unable to learn what is being taught.
- Noun: - blockhead, booby, dolt, duffer, dullard, dunderhead, fool, numskull.
- Plural: - dunces
- Mary may have been a dunce at mathematics and art, but she was gifted at languages.
- Term derived via duns to dunse to dunce.
- A term coined by detractors of John Duns Scotus and his followers (also known as Scotists) - meaning incapable of scholarship.
- The term came to refer to anyone devoted to sophistry in their scholarship or argumentation.
- During the English Renaissance (16th century), the term duns or dunce became for humanists & reformers, a term of abuse.
- Dunces are often shown comedically wearing paper cone hats (dunce caps).
Image by Leo Reynolds (cc)
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |