Andreas Capellanus Demographics:
- Name - Andreas Capellanus (Capellanus meaning "chaplain").
- Other names - André le Chapelain.
- Born - 12th century.
- Nationality - Probably of French origin.
- Occupation - Author
- Known as the writer of "De amore".
- Nothing is known of Andreas Capellanus's life.
- Presumed to have been a courtier of Marie of Troyes.
- Twelfth century author of a treatise entitled De amore ("About Love").
- The treatise is also known in English (misleadingly), as The Art of Courtly Love.
- De Amore was written at the request of Marie de Champagne, daughter of King Louis VII of France & Eleanor of Aquitaine.
"Love is an inborn suffering proceeding from the sight and immoderate thought upon the beauty of the other sex, for which cause above all other things one wishes to embrace the other and, by common assent, in this embrace to fulfill the commandments of love. . . ."
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |