Elsing Spital Hospital Details:
- Founder - William Elsing (Merchant).
- Previously - St. Mary within Cripplegate (date founded ~c. 1000). 
- Town & Diocese - London
- Dedication - St. Mary.
- Date Founded - 1331
- Date Terminated - 1536
- Religious Order - Augustinian (from 1340).
- Function - Medieval hospital.
- Founded at London Wall in 1331 by a merchant (mercer) called William Elsing.
- The hospital foundation was intended as a refuge for blind beggars of both sexes, paralysed priests & if space was still available then beggars who wandered about the city were admitted.
- Initially it housed 32 inmates, then 60, & finally 100.
- Performance of religious duties was the responsibility of 5 secular priests; one of whom was the warden.
- The warden was required to render annual accounts & a complete suit of the same colour (not to exceed 30 shillings) to be given every year.
- In 1337 William Elsing became worried about the seculars wandering about the city, so he petitioned for a replacement with regular Canons.
- 5 Augustinian Canons and a prior were elected with the assent of the Dean & Chapter of St. Paul’s.
- This meant that by 1340 the hospital was under the care of Augustinian Canons.
- By 1438 the hospital was significantly in debt, possibly because of enlarging the church.
- The hospital was closed down by Henry VIII in the early 16th century ; the property then being granted to Sir John Williams, knt. master of the king's jewels, & afterwards Lord Thame, & on the next year on Christmas eve was burnt down. 
- Only the church tower remains from the original 14th century hospital building.
- Ruins of St Alphage Church contain old Elsing Spital chapel of Priory tower within (see image). 
 - http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/Collections/OnlineResources/RWWC/Themes/1273/
 - http://www.chr.org.uk/walks_CityItin.htm
 - http://monasticmatrix.usc.edu/monasticon/index.php?function=detail&id=999
 - Medieval Hospitals of London, Lecture by William Ayliffe, Gresham College, 7 April 2008
 - http://monasticmatrix.usc.edu/monasticon/?function=detail&id=1003
 - Thomas Allen (1837). The history and antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and parts adjacent. Volume 3. Cowie & Strange, London.
Image Credit - by jypsygen (cc)
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |