- Name - Astruc of Lunel
- Other names - Abba Mari; Abba Mari ben Moses ben Joseph; Don Astruc; ha-Yareah (Jewish zealot); Yarhi (Hebrew Yerah, i.e. moon, lune); Astruc; Don Astruc; En Astruc of Lunel.
- Born - ? 1250,
- Birthplace - Lunel, near Montpellier, France.
- Died - after 1306
- Nationality - French
- Religion - Jewish
- Occupation - Jewish Scholar.
- Heritage - descendant of men learned in rabbinic lore.
- Anti-rationalist Jewish zealot.
- Very distressed by the prevalence of Aristotelian rationalism, when living in Montpellier from (1303-1306).
- Astruc of Lunel revered Maimonides, but he believed that followers of Maimonides' were undermining the jewish faith by reading the Bible allegorically.
- The epithet ha-Yareaḥ comes from his work Sefer ha-yareaḥ (“The Book of the Moon”), the title of which refers to the town of Lunel (French lune, meaning “moon”).
- Astruc persuaded (through letters) the powerful Rabbi Solomon ben Abraham Adret (1235 – 1310) of Barcelona, Spain, to forbid the study or teaching of science & philosophy by those.
- The controversy from this ruling almost split the Jewish communities of southern France & Spain.
- This possible schism was prevented in 1306 when Philip IV of France expelled the Jews from France.
- Astruc then settled in Perpignan, Kingdom of Majorca.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |