ASDA Basic Facts:
- British supermarket chain.
- Retails - food, general merchandise, clothing, toys, books, electrical goods.
- Asda Stores Limited was founded in Leeds (in 1949) as Associated Dairies & Farm Stores Limited.
- The Asda name occurred in 1965 following the merger of the Asquith chain of supermarkets & Associated Dairies.
- Asda is an abbreviation of - Asquith and Dairies.
- The dairy division was later sold in a management buyout & renamed Associated Fresh Foods.
- Asda became a subsidiary of the American retail giant Wal-Mart in 1999.
- Asda is Wal-Mart's largest non-U.S. subsidiary
- Asda is the second largest chain in the UK after Tesco.
- Asda has based most of its marketing promotions on price.
- This has lead to Asda promoting itself under the slogan Britain's Lowest Priced Supermarket.
- Asda submits full accounts to Companies House each October.
- Wal-Mart 'sold' Asda for £6.9 billion to their Leeds-based investment subsidiary Corinth Services Limited in August 2009.
- This Wal-mart “group restructuring” still means Asda remains under the control of the Wal-Mart because Corinth are a subsidiary of Wal-Mart.
- ASDA headquarters, Great Wilson Street, Leeds (pictured).
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |