- Aeronautics and Cosmonautics Romanian Association (ARCA).
- Romanian non-profit, non-governmental organization that promotes aerospace projects.
- They are involved in other space-related activities.
- ARCA are currently working on the Orizont space vehicle project.
- The group of scientists are trying to get to the moon via balloon.
- On November 14th 2009, the ARCA team attempted to launch the Helen space rocket from the Black Sea using the rockoon technique.
- The rocket-balloon concept is known as a "rockoon".
- The balloon uses heat from the sun to gain altitude after the initial start.
- Balloons can be used as a carrier to get a rocket above much of the atmosphere.
- This enables considerable savings on fuel.
- ARCA are using the rockoon system to try and hoist rocket motors high in the atmosphere attached together by cable - described as "nunchuck staging".
- In the 1950s the US also explored this technique.
- Difficulties with balloon inflation because of entangling of the inflation arms.
Video Showing How The Rockoon Technique Works:
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |