- "The School of Athens" ("Scuola di Atene" in Italian).
- Very famous painting by the Italian artist Raphael from the Renaissance.
- The fresco was painted between 1510-1511.
- It was part of Raphael's commission to paint frescoes in the Stanze di Raffaello rooms, in the Vatican Apostolic Palace.
- Considered as "Raphael's masterpiece and the perfect embodiment of the classical spirit of the High Renaissance."
- Some of the philosophers in the picture are clear, such as Plato & Aristotle.
- There is some disagreement about many of the figures, including possible double portayals in the painting.
- Raphael did not leave any contemporary documents to explain the fresco, nor make any designations outside possible likenesses.
- In the center of the fresco are the 2 undisputed main subjects (14 & 15).
- Plato (left) & Aristotle his student (right).
- Both Plato & Aristotle hold copies of their books in their left hands.
- Plato holds Timaeus and Aristotle holds his Nicomachean Ethics.
- The figures are shown in more detail below.
Postulated identities of the figures:
(bracketed names are contemporary characters whom Raphael may have drawn likenesses)
- 1: Zeno of Citium
- 2: Epicurus
- 3: Federico II of Mantua?
- 4: Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius or Anaximander or Empedocles?
- 5: Averroes
- 6: Pythagoras
- 7: Alcibiades or Alexander the Great?
- 8: Antisthenes or Xenophon?
- 9: Hypatia (from Francesco Maria della Rovere or Raphael's mistress Margherita)
- 10: Aeschines or Xenophon?
- 11: Parmenides?
- 12: Socrates
- 13: Heraclitus (from Michelangelo)
- 14: Plato holding the Timaeus (from Leonardo da Vinci)
- 15: Aristotle holding the Ethics
- 16: Diogenes of Sinope?
- 17: Plotinus?
- 18: Euclid or Archimedes with students (from Bramante)?
- 19: Strabo or Zoroaster? (from Baldassare Castiglione or Pietro Bembo)
- 20: Ptolemy? R: Apelles (from Raphael)
- 21: Protogenes (from Il Sodoma, Perugino or Timoteo Viti)
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |