- Name - Salvino D'Amato of Florence
- Born - 1258 (exact day not known)
- Died – 1312
- Father - Armato of Florence
- Residence - Florence, Italy
- Nationality - Italian
- Credited with inventing eyeglasses.
- Some historians doubt the authenticity of this claim though.
- It is, however, fairly certain that spectacles were invented between 1280 & 1300 in Italy.
- Leopoldo del Migliore stated in his 1684 history of Florence that there was a memorial honouring D'Armati at the church of Santa Maria Maggiore.
- The memorial bore the inscription - Here lies Salvino degl' Armati, son of Armato of Florence, inventor of eyeglasses. May God forgive his sins. A.D. 1317.
- The tomb unfortunately no longer exists, so it has not been possible to verify this claim.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |