Francis Solanus Demographics:
- Name - Francis Solanus (Spanish: Francisco Sánchez-Solano Jiménez) pictured opposite.
- Born - 10 March 1549 (Montilla, near Córdoba, Spain).
- Died - 14 July 1610 (Lima, Peru)
- Occupation - Spanish missionary in South America (Order of Friars Minor, the Franciscans).
- Parents - Matthew Sanchez Solanus & Anna Ximenes.
- At the age of 20 years, he joined the Franciscan Order at Montilla.
- Solanus was recorded as performing the 16th century miracle of curing a young virgin Joanna Francisca Hurtado of bubonic plague.
- He was later sent to the convent of Arifazza (as master of novices).
- Solanis sailed from Spain to the Americas in 1589.
- He went to Peru on the Pacific side of the Panamanian isthmus.
- Solanus was said, in 1610, to have predicted the 1618 earthquake of Trujillo, Peru.
- Solanus also apparently foretold his own death, which occurred in 1610 at Lima, Peru.
- He was beatified by Pope Clement X in 1675, & later canonized by Pope Benedict XIII in 1726.
- Was a talented violinist-musician as well.
- Francis Solanus worked at evangelizing the vast regions of Tucuman (present day northwestern Argentina) & Paraguay.
- Solanus had a skill for languages & succeeded at learning many of the regions' native tongues in a fairly short period of time.
- He also played the violin frequently for the natives, this helping as an ice-breaker.
- Later elected to guardian of the Franciscan convent in Lima, Peru.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |