Lucasian Professor of Mathematics Important Facts:
- The Lucasian Professor is the holder of a mathematics professorship at the University of Cambridge, England.
- It is one of the world's most prestigious academic posts.
- Was first founded in 1663 by Henry Lucas (MP for the University of Cambridge).
- Chair officially established by King Charles II (January 18, 1664).
- Previous holder was Stephen Hawking, till September 2009 (pictured).
- Current holder is Michael Green FRS, from October 2009.
- Lucas, in his will, bequeathed his 4,000 volume library to the University of Cambridge.
- Included in the will also was instruction for the purchase of land whose earning should provide £100 a year for the founding of a professorship.
- It was also stipulated that the holder of the professorship should not be active in the church.
- Isaac Barrow
- Sir Isaac Newton
- William Whiston
- Nicolas Saunderson
- John Colson
- Edward Waring
- Isaac Milner
- Robert Woodhouse
- Thomas Turton
- Sir George Biddell Airy
- Charles Babbage
- Joshua King
- Sir George Gabriel Stokes
- Sir Joseph Larmor
- P. A. M. Dirac
- Sir M. James Lighthill
- Stephen Hawking
- Michael Green
Image - Stephen Hawking by doug88888 (cc)
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |