- The Archbishop of Canterbury is the chief bishop and principal leader of the Church of England.
- The other roles include the symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion & the diocesan bishop of the Diocese of Canterbury (see image of Canterbury Cathedral).
- Dr Rowan Williams is the current archbishop.
- The line goes back to St Augustine of Canterbury in the year 597.
- During the English Reformation the church broke away from the authority of the Pope & the Roman Catholic Church.
- In the Middle Ages there was considerable variation regarding the nomination of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- Since the English Reformation the Church of England has been a state church with the choice of archbishop of Canterbury now being legally the decision of the British crown.
- In modern times the decision is made in the name of the Sovereign by the Prime Minister from a shortlist of two candidates.
- The archbishopric candidates are selected by an ad hoc committee known as the Crown Nominations Commission.
- The Archbishop of Canterbury's official London residence is Lambeth Palace.
Augustine - Laurentius - Mellitus - Justus - Honorius - Deusdedit - Wighard - Theodore - Berhtwald - Tatwine - Nothelm - Cuthbert - Bregowine - Jænberht - Æthelhard - Wulfred - Feologild - Ceolnoth - Æthelred - Plegmund - Athelm - Wulfhelm - Oda - Ælfsige - Byrhthelm - Dunstan - Æthelgar - Sigeric - Ælfric - Ælfheah - Lyfing - Æthelnoth - Eadsige - Robert of Jumièges - Stigand
Archbishops to the Reformation:
Lanfranc - Anselm - Ralph d'Escures - William de Corbeil - Theobald - Thomas Becket - Roger de Bailleul - Richard - Baldwin - Reginald Fitz Jocelin - Hubert Walter - Reginald - John de Gray - Stephen Langton - Walter d'Eynsham - Richard le Grant - Ralph Neville - John of Sittingbourne - John Blund - Edmund Rich - Boniface - William Chillenden - Robert Kilwardby - Robert Burnell - John Peckham - Robert Winchelsey - Thomas Cobham - Walter Reynolds - Simon Mepeham - John de Stratford - John de Ufford - Thomas Bradwardine - Simon Islip - William Edington - Simon Langham - William Whittlesey - Simon Sudbury - William Courtenay - Thomas Arundel - Roger Walden - Thomas Arundel - Henry Chichele - John Stafford - John Kemp - Thomas Bourchier - John Morton - Thomas Langton - Henry Deane - William Warham - Thomas Cranmer - Reginald Pole
Matthew Parker - Edmund Grindal - John Whitgift - Richard Bancroft - George Abbot - William Laud - William Juxon - Gilbert Sheldon - William Sancroft - John Tillotson - Thomas Tenison - William Wake - John Potter - Thomas Herring - Matthew Hutton - Thomas Secker - Frederick Cornwallis - John Moore - Charles Manners-Sutton - William Howley - John Bird Sumner - Charles Thomas Longley - Archibald Campbell Tait - Edward White Benson - Frederick Temple - Randall Thomas Davidson - Cosmo Lang - William Temple - Geoffrey Fisher - Michael Ramsey - Donald Coggan - Robert Runcie - George Carey - Rowan Williams
Image Credit - Chris Downer (cc)
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |