William James Sidis Demographics:
- Name - William James Sidis
- Born - April 1, 1898
- Death - July 17, 1944
- Cultural Heritage - Russian-Jewish immigrant parents
- Father - Boris Sidis, Ph.D., M.D., (Psychiatrist).
- Mother - Sarah Mandelbaum Sidis, M.D.
- Estimated ratio IQ of 250–300.
- American child prodigy with exceptional mathematical and linguistic abilities (polyglot).
- Accepted to attend Harvard University when he was only eleven years old.
- He avoided mathematics in later life, focusing on other subjects which he wrote about under a number of pseudonyms.
- Often cited as the most intelligent person who ever lived.
- Sidis could read the New York Times at 18 months.
- Entered Harvard as part of a program to enrol gifted students early.
- Other members of the group included - mathematician Norbert Wiener, Richard Buckminster Fuller, & composer Roger Sessions.
- Could speak 8 languages (Armenian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Russian, Turkish) and thus was a polyglot.
- Invented a new language (Vendergood).
- Shortly after graduation from Harvard, he wanted to live the perfect life which meant living in seclusion.
- Sidis abandoned his pursuit of a graduate degree in mathematics and enrolled at the Harvard Law School (September 1916), but withdrew in his final year (March 1919).
- Shortly after the withdrawal from law school, he was arrested for participating in a socialist May Day parade in Boston.
- Detained in a sanatorium, by his parents, as part of a deal with the District Attorney by his father.
- After returning to the East Coast in 1921 he worked in menial tasks and became estranged from his parents.
- He devoted himself to his hobbies, particularly collecting streetcar transfers and published periodicals.
- During his adult years, it is believed that he could speak over 40 languages, and was reputed that he was able to learn a new language in a day.
- He wrote extensively about many topics including, cosmology, thermodynamics, street cars, Native American history, civil engineering, anthropology, philology.
- Sidis died in 1944 of a cerebral hemorrhage in Boston at the age of 46 years.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |