Infectious disease epidemic which has spread across a large area, i.e. continent or worldwide.
World Health Organization (WHO) advises that a pandemic can start when three conditions occur:
- New disease spreads to a population.
- The infectious agent infects humans, causing serious illness.
- The infectious agents spread easily & sustainably among humans.
Comes from the Greek πᾶν pan "all" + δῆμος demos "people".
Organisms known to cause pandemics include:
- Bubonic plague (i.e. The Black Death)
- Yellow fever
- Avian flu (H5N1)
- Bolivian hemorrhagic fever
- Ebola virus
- Lassa fever
- Marburg virus
- Rift Valley fever
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World