- Athletic conference comprising eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States.
- Refers to these 8 universities as a group.
- Official term after the NCAA Division I athletic conference in 1954.
- Term is no longer limited to just athletics - now seen more as an educational philosophy.
- 7 of the 8 schools were founded during America's colonial period with the exception of Cornell University (founded in 1865).
- The Ivy Leaguue are all in Northeast United States.
- Acceptance rates at the universities range from about 7-19 %
- The governing body of the Ivy League is the Council of Ivy Group Presidents.
- Harvard and Yale are celebrated football and rowing rivals.
- Brown University (founded 1764)
- Columbia University (founded 1754)
- Cornell University (founded 1865)
- Dartmouth College (founded 1769)
- Harvard University (founded 1636)
- Princeton University (founded 1746)
- University of Pennsylvania (founded 1740)
- Yale University (founded 1701)
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |