- Name - Richard Phillips Feynman
- DOB - May 11, 1918.
- Death - February 15, 1988.
- Born - Far Rockaway, Queens, New York.
- Nationality - American
- His father was a major inspiration in teaching Feynman how to think.
- Reportedly had a measured IQ of 125.
- By the age of 15 years, Feynman had taught himself both differential and integral calculus.
Richard Feynman Professional Facts:
- Was Richard Chace Tolman professor in theoretical physics at Caltech (see picture with L-R: Donald Glaser, Richard Feynman, Robert Bacher, and Robert Leighton at the California Institute of Technology).
- Won Nobel Physics Prize (1965) for his contributions to the development of quantum electrodynamics, in conjunction with Julian Schwinger and Sin-Itiro Tomonaga.
- Described the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, the theory of quantum electrodynamics and the physics of the superfluidity of supercooled liquid helium, as
- His work in particle physics lead to the proposed parton model.
- Developed the Feynman diagrams to represent the mathematical expressions governing the behavior of subatomic particles.
- Was involved in the Manhattan Project in World War II which led to the development of the Atomic Bomb.
- Panel member involved in investigating the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster.
Other Scientific Interests:
- Pioneered quantum computing
- He introduced the concept of nanotechnology.
- Popularized physics in both his books and lectures, in particular 'The Feynman Lectures on Physics.'
- Wrote a series of semi-autobiographical books including Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and What Do You Care What Other People Think?
- Another popular work was 'No Ordinary Genius: The Illustrated Richard Feynman.'
- Amateur painter
- Bongo player
- Safecracker and lock picker
- Strip clubs as places to think through difficult academic problems.
Richard Feynman playing the bongo drums.
Image Credits - by Emilio Segre Visual Archives
Tags: 1965 - Bongo Drums - Caltech - Differential Calculus - Feynman Diagrams - Integral Calculus - Manhattan Project - Nanotechnology - Physicist - Physics - Prankster - Quantum Electrodynamics - Richard Feynman
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |