Milky Way Facts:
- Home Galaxy of our Solar System.
- Member of the barred spiral class of galaxies.
- Diameter is around 100,000 light years across.
- Spiral arms have a thickness of around 1,000 - 2,000 lightyears.
- The Sun sits about 25,000 lightyears from the Milky Way centre on the edge of the Orion.
- The Milky Way is a dusty place.
- Cannot see the center of the galaxy in visible light.
- NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope (using infrared wavelength 8 microns) imaging highlights the region's exceptionally bright & dusty clouds, lit up by young massive stars.
- Individual stars can be seen as tiny dots scattered throughout the dust.
Image - NASA (Public Domain)
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |