- Name - Aleksandr (Alexander) Semenovich Kronrod
- Russian Name - Александр Семёнович Кронрод
- Born - October 22, 1921
- Died – October 6, 1986
- Nationality - Russian
- Profession - Mathematician and computer scientist.
- An image of Alexander Kronrod is available on wikipedia (here).
- Kronrod studied with the famous Nikolai Luzin in his last undergraduate year.
- He is best known for the Gauss-Kronrod quadrature formula (published in 1964).
- He also made contributions to economics - proposing corrections and calculating price formation for the USSR.
- Kronrod developed a profound interest in artificial intelligence (known in the USSR as heuristic programming).
- The famous quote "chess is the Drosophila of artificial intelligence." is attributed to Kronrod (here).
- He was reprimanded by the Communist Party in 1968 for cosigning a letter in defense of the mathematician and logician Alexander Esenin-Volpin (son of the poet Sergei Esenin).
- Consequences of the reprimand included being fired from his professorship at the Moscow Pedagogical Institute, and being ousted from the Moscow Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics; effectively ending his career.
- Kronrod went on to apply his skills to helping others, most importantly the terminally ill.
- He developed a sour milk extract, called milil, for cancer patients.
- Kronrod died after his 3rd stroke in 1986.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |