- The unsinkable Titanic goes down (off coast of Newfoundland) killing over 1500 passengers. A steward from the Titanic's White Star Line is reported as having said, "Not even God Himself can sink this ship". (April 14)
- China becomes a republic - Sun Yat-sen as president.
- Maria Montessori begins teaching "The Montessori Method".
- Violent Katmai volcano eruption in Alaska.
- New Mexico and Arizona become 47th and 48th states in US.
- The first crossword puzzle is published in New York Journal.
- The Olympic Games are held in Stockholm, Sweden.
- The Ottoman period ends after Turkey surrenders to Serbia & Bulgaria.
- The electric iron is invented in Germany.
- The electric starter for cars is invented.
- Discovery of Vitamin A in butter and egg yolks.
- Piltdown man hoax - deceives paleontologists around the world.
- Dr Gaston Odin claims to discover the cancer microbe.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |