- The chrome tanning process for leather is patented by Augustus Schultz.
- First volume of the Oxford English Dictionary, A-to-Ant, published.
- Siege of Khartoum in Sudan begins
- U.S. adopts Standard Time.
- The first long-distance telephone call, Boston - New York.
- Pope Leo XIII publishes encyclical "On Freemasonry".
- Alaska officially becomes a U.S. territory.
- Ringling Brothers circus first premieres.
- Dow Jones publishes it's first stock average.
- Statue of Liberty presented to U.S. in Paris.
- First Test Cricket to be played at Old Trafford (July 10) and first day is washed out.
- First Test Cricket match played at Lord's (July 21).
- 6.2 mile Arlberg railroad tunnel is completed in Austria.
- Greenwich is established as universal time meridian of longitude.
- George Eastman patents paper-strip photographic film.
- John B Meyenberg patents evaporated milk.
- Great Colchester Earthquake (April 22) - measured 6.9 on the Richter Scale.
Tags: Chrome Tanning - Dow Jones - Earthquake - Evaporated Milk - George Eastman - Greenwich - Longitude - Oxford English Dictionary - Standard Time
Posted by ALCHEssMIST - Alchemipedia - Cetacographer - Nirvana - Tags alliance.
Alchemipedia | Alchemipedia Dates | Alchemipedia People | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |