- France's first postage stamp is issued (1st January).
- Further cholera epidemic in Britain (previous epidemic 1832).
- Deaths - 12,847 Londoners, 5,308 in Liverpool; 1,834 in Hull.
- Elizabeth Blackwell is awarded her M.D. (Medical Institute of Geneva, New York) to become first woman doctor in US.
- The Corn Laws - abolished in U.K. (result of legislation in 1846).
- The United Kingdom annexes the Punjab.
- A Russian court sentences Fyodor Dostoevsky to death for anti-government activities, with his execution being cancelled at the last minute.
- Edmund Barton, first Prime Minister of Australia (1849-1920).
- Ivan Petrovich Pavlov - of Pavlov's dog fame (1849-1936).
- William Kissam Vanderbilt - American railway magnate (1849-1920).
- Anne Brontë - English author (1820-1849)
- Edgar Allan Poe - American writer (1809-1849)
- Frédéric Chopin - Musician & composer (1810-1849)
- Johann Strauss - Austrian composer (1804-1849)
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |